Monday? Really? I mean. Really?

My brother has a saying that is so appropriate now that I have experienced it. It’s that “all jobs/projects will fill  the entire amount of time allotted.” When I was working full time, I would get so much done in one hour it was amazing. Now, I can work all day and get something done. Take for instance the dining room chairs. There are four chairs with upholstered seats. I planned on taking about 2 hours to do the work. As if.  Of course, I couldn’t find any pliers.   So, I went to the hardware store for pliers, and wasp spray.   I have wasps real bad this year.   That took an extra 30 minutes.   I started at noon.   It was about 12:30 when I got home.  I took the first chair apart and got it put back together in about 20 minutes.   The second chair was good until I caught my finger in the pliers and spent 10 minutes running cold water on my finger and another five minutes watching the blood blister grow under the skin.  The language.  It was awful.  It took me 45 minutes to finish that second chair because my finger hurt real muchly.   There’s a moral about hurrying when using unfamiliar tools, but I don’t care and it’s too late anyway.   The third chair went without a hitch and on the fourth chair I ran out of staples.   I scrounged around and found three boxes of staples and two boxes were sizes that wouldn’t fit my stapler in a million years.  I threw them in  the trash.   The last box had staples that fit, but I couldn’t get them in.  The language.  It was awful.  I finally realized, after reminding myself to breathe, that there were several staples stuck in the staple gun.  After carefully banging the stapler on the floor and finally getting the staples completely out with a screwdriver, I got the staple gun loaded.  I was able to complete the project in a little under four hours.  That, and an added bonus of a blood blister.

The left is the before and the right is the after with my forekitty,  Ms. Stinky McFartbutt.    She was on a long lunch until the chairs were completed and then gave me her inspection and approval by promptly falling asleep on one.   And, yes, it shows the cat fur perfectly.

The fabric has been in the house for about 15 years or so.  It’s rayon and soft and I love the flowers on the navy background.   I did the chairs on Friday when I realized I wasn’t going to be called in to work.   At least I can look at the chairs now and be happy that I accomplished something and only spent about $10 in pliers and wasp spray.   It’s the little things.

On Saturday, I spent the day baking and preparing for the BB and BSIL for dinner.   I am enjoying spending time cooking and preparing as opposed to buying and unwrapping.   I baked bread for dinner and we enjoyed it so much.   Something so simple and inexpensive yet it makes a meal so special.   We also had a pork loin roast marinated in balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  That, plus fingerling potatoes and asparagus roasted in olive oil in the oven.   It was a lovely spring meal eaten on the deck.  Of course, we had wine.

Sunday after church I came home and had lunch and then I looked for particular skein of yarn that I never did find to begin knitting another Christmas gift.   I looked for about an hour and then gave up.   I might have been looking for an already used skein of yarn.   I’ve done that before.  And, yes, I should probably organize my stash, but I’m trying to organize my life and house.  The stash is pretty far down the list for me.

Now, to send you into your week, here is the soundtrack for the day.  The Rolling Stones with the incomparable Brian Jones (loved him) doing “Street Fighting Man”

Have a terrific Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Monday? Really? I mean. Really?

  1. margene says:

    Your day of upholstery sounds like the day I would have! I know we’re doppelgangers! The difference might be that you never gave up, you worked as hard as you could to finish despite problems of a large magnitude. Would I have persevered as you did?

  2. Emiko says:

    Someday you’re going to have to share pics of your wonderful dinners out on the patio!!!

    The chair re-upholstering may have taken a little longer than expected, but you should proud that they are done! Great job and nice fabric (and glad that The Miss approved too).

    Happy Monday – hope it’s a quick one, for me anyway 🙂

  3. marianne says:

    “The language. It was awful.” oh honey, I was nearly howling reading that. twice. :^)
    Yay for getting those chairs re-upholstered and I just have to say, sweeeet photo of Ms.Stinky. precious little nose.
    Cheers for your dinner, sounds more than yummy, AND you just can’t beat the good company!
    mmmmm. Brian Jones. Beggar’s Banquet. They were all just so impossibly young, baby faced boys.
    When I see their early stuff I always thank Tina for later taking Mick in hand, teaching him the moves. snort.

  4. Joy says:

    Way to go on the chairs – sounds like what would happen around here ;o) So far one of my best “tricks” for removing fur is wiping with a *barely* damp sponge. It does an excellent job on the dark green microfiber ottoman that both cats love to sleep on.

    The dinner sounds fantastic – makes me hungry and I just had lunch (grin).

  5. Cookie says:

    Good for you for not letting the chairs win!


  6. sophanne says:

    Way to go on starting and finishing something. My favorite part was “real muchly.’

  7. sophanne says:

    p.s. I was looking at blogs last night and I was too tired to really read and comment so when yours came up I left it there and saved it for this morning. That’s how much I love you.

  8. heideho says:

    I love your chairs! I’m so impressed with your upholstering abilities! Miss Esau Marie only deserves the very best, after all. Be careful spraying the wasps… those things are nasty. Fresh bread sounds heavenly. Mid-week hugs to you.

  9. Diane says:

    Ah yes. We reupholstered our chairs a few years ago. Ran out of fabric for the last two chairs, had to order more which took 5 weeks to arrive. Six chairs, two people, two months. You did phenomenal!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s