10 things I love about my family:
1. Being loved by my family, which includes both blood and water.
2. Shared history. My brother vaguely recalls the same events and people that I vaguely recall.
3. When you are part of a large family, you learn to get along with other people. You can’t deny family when you’re young, so you best adapt.
4. Loving many people and having all that room in your heart for the additions that come with time.
5. The realization that life really is a circle
6. An instant comfort level not felt with strangers
7. Traditions that may seem idiotic to others, but are part of the pattern of your family life. My example is the traditional “Happy ………..Oneth” spoken, texted or emailed the first day of every month. No prizes, but the joy of being call a bitch by loved ones when you beat them to the punch.
8. The joy of watching, and if you’re lucky, participating in the growth of your children, nieces and nephews, and for those with the luck of long life, grandchildren, grand nieces and grand nephews.
9. I am blessed and didn’t even know it until I went away to college. I was raised by loving, caring and giving parents who showed their love every day. That is a gift that gives your whole life through and continues to give if you have the sense God gave gravel to pass it on.
10. I had two brothers, both of whom I adored. Now, it’s just me and my older brother and, I love him with all my heart. He chose my BSIL (beloved sister-in-law) as his wife and it took us a bit of time to work through the kinks in our relationship. We have worked hard through the years and her generosity of spirit and willingness to work with my foibles has made our relationship rock solid. She truly is my sister.
11. NOBODY can push your buttons faster and more efficiently than family.
Here’s my soundtrack for today……..”Everyday People” by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.