10 Favorite Herbs. Fresh or dried, you decide!
1. Lavender. I love the scent of lavender. I love the look of lavender plants and it’s uses are so varied and wonderful. I soak a cotton ball in lavender oil and put it in with my woolens to detract moths and freshen the stored stuff.
2. Mullein. I have suffered from allergy related sinusitis and miseries for ever and mullein oil is my go to for my frequent summer earaches.
3. Garlic. It is the most essential cooking herb I use. I love it roasted and my BSIL has a garlic marinade that could ward off vampires for years!
4. Basil. The mere smell of the stuff is summer for me. It’s also good for insect stings. Make a poultice and just apply. That, and pesto!!!
5. Sage. Not only is it a fabulous cooking herb, but it is an effective healing herb as well. It is a well-known anti-bacterial. I’ve used it in salves before.
6. Comfrey. It is used in respiratory healing. I use it in my cough medicine.
7. Juniper berries. Of course, my favorite way to ingest them is with gin, but they are also very useful for adding to boiling water and breathing in the steam. Really good for congestion.
8. Comfrey. The tea is good for oozing wounds and the herb is amazing in salves.
9. Witch Hazel. The herb is good for the skin and very soothing.
10. Aloe. The best burn remedy there is. It’s also good for digestion.
I will also put a caveat to these herbal remedies. You don’t just use them because they sound good. Do your homework or ask an expert. There are certain herbs that react badly with prescription medications……et al. I am extremely careful when making my herbal remedies. And, yes, I am a witch.
Now, on to other news. I got the results back from the vet on my big baby boy. The picture is one of my very favorites. The white blood count was down just a bit, but not enough to worry about. Liver and kidney function were just okey-dokey fine, but we’re still waiting on thyroid function. It appears my baby is just getting old (OMG! Him too?). I feel much better just knowing, but it’s still a bit hard to take. He’s only 6.
So, you all have a wonderful Hump Day! Here’s my soundtrack for the day…..Hannibal and the Headhunters (really?) with “Land of 1000 Dances”
Have a good one!!!!